Sunday, August 21, 2011

Reflections on Birth and Death days....

Three years ago today my father-in-law Ira Carlton Crandall passed away suddenly.  Today is my fathers 77th birthday.  We had breakfast with my parents to celebrate my father's birthday.  For dinner we went to Red Robin to celebrate my birthday which is coming up on the 30th.  The service for Carl was held on my 40th birthday.  I know that people make a big deal of turning 40...all about being over the hill.  But there is something about being in a memorial service for someone you love on that particular birthday that gives on pause.  We will never forget that week.  Rushing to pack to go to California knowing that Carl was not doing well, only to get the phone call every child dreads to receive....

It seems like it was just yesterday.  So as we celebrated my dad's birthday today, I found myself thinking about those events, and wanting to hold on to my dad just for another second.  I struggled with the fact that a family celebration and tragedy happened on the same day/week...why did it have to be that way?  I struggled with feeling that somehow I was robbed of something special, a birthday that will come only once.  And yet as time has gone by I have come to realize that it really gave me a special perspective.   My dad shares a birthday with the day that Carl was re-born into heaven. And I share a birthday with the day that we remembered and honored him for the wonderful father, dad and Navy officer that he had been.   We still sense his presence at different times.   He didn't miss the family reunion in Hawaii in 2009 - he came when it rained.  His sense of humor which I witness in my own husband on a daily basis.  Yes, it was a tragic day of loss...but in another sense he continues on our lives and memories - and for that I am truly thankful.

Hold your loved ones close while you still have them.  Make sure you tell them you love them every chance you get.   Make sure you don't regret what might be the last words you ever say to your loved one.  Live life to the fullest.  Don't take yourself too seriously.  And one thing that Carl taught me - Drive the back roads every chance you get!!!

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment